Thursday, July 12, 2012

Need a good book to read this summer??


I can go months before finding a book that I can't put down....this year I was lucky enough to work with THE BEST librarian (and friend) that I have ever met. I read a TON this school year, and it was all because of Marcie. She was so passionate about good literature and getting kids to read, that it rubbed off on me. I never met someone who was so into reading not only for herself, but her students too. She was such an inspiration. In the spring, I was lucky enough to tag along to a book talk conference that discussed hundreds of young adult and adult novels. I was in awe. I loved it. (I really could have sat there all day and listened to this woman). It made me realize HOW many good books there are out there, and how many we overlook because of censorship issues, themes, or conflicts that may be too touchy of an issue to read in our schools. There are soooo many good novels out there to use with our kids, why do we get stuck in literature ruts?


Here is a list of books that I could not stop reading,....we're talking one day, one sitting, simply amazing. I know there are more, but here are the first few that came to mind. Check them out on amazon.com for a summary, and let me know what you think!



















1 comment:

Kristeen said...

Water For Elephants, White Oleander -- two of my favorite books ever. Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime, too. Great list.