Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dance like no one is watching


McKenzie's First Recital

One of our first adventures this summer was McKenzie's first ballet and tap recital. Seven months, two routines, one tap, one ballet, and a lot of hard work went into preparing for this event. I know, I know, she's not even four, but there is something about a toddler in a tutu that gets me every time. During those seven months Tony and I only got small glimpses of a first position here, and a combo there, so I was anxious to see how well she listened and learned from her dance teacher. Hours were spent in the studio behind closed doors, while her dance teacher taught five little girls the steps to two of the cutest routines I've ever seen. 

After combing the two classes the group had one dress rehearsal a few days before the big event. Seeing her on a lit stage, with makeup, dressed in her sparkly tutu made it feel real. The rehearsal went...well let's just say I'm glad it was a rehearsal. There were a few times she took one too many turns, almost flew off stage, and spun into the curtains, (which I thought was hilarious, but tried not to laugh). I think it was just the excitement of being on a big stage with the other girls that made her act all goofy. (or that could just be my daughter) Knowing the kids were three and four years old, we didn't have very high expectations. Tony and I both said we could care less how well she did, as long as she had fun......and that she did!

Backstage.....




After the show....







I mean really, could she get any cuter? Regardless of her "hear no evil, see no evil, say no evil" mix up (which really made it even cuter), she did pretty damn good.  It was almost as if she was made for the stage. 




I'm pretty sure Riley will be following in her sister's footsteps taking dance. The entire time she was singing and dancing along in the isle of the auditorium (and somehow knew 90% of each dance). I only wish I could have caught it on video. She was so proud of her big sister on stage, and yelled "Kenzie!" "That's Kenzie dancing!!" each time she was performing. It was nice to see her so loving of her big sister.


No comments: