Thursday, August 11, 2011

Chicken Riggies

Chicken Riggies


I grew up in Marcy, NY a small town within minutes from Utica. The "Chicken Riggie" dish is one of "Utica"s" biggest known foods that we can call our own...(we also have"Utica style pizza" and "half moon cookies" but that's another time and place).  I was lucky enough to grow up in a household where my Mom cooked, and boy did she cook, it's probably why I have such a passion for food today. After moving to Syracuse, (and Florida) no one knew what a "chicken riggie" was, and lucky for them I was able to introduce this delicious dish to all my new friends and family I've made along the way.  Tony can say hands down this is one of his favorite meals I make, and often complains I don't make it often enough!! Everyone makes chicken riggies different, and since moving to Syracuse it seems their popularity has been slowly growing too! Every restaurant has their own version of this dish, and while I must admit some are good,  none live up to my Mom's recipe that I still use today.  I've altered it a bit to make it my own, but it's her recipe none-the-less. Enjoy!

Chicken Riggie Recipe
1 box package rigatoni pasta
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 fresh tomatoes cubed
1 yellow pepper
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 orange pepper
2 hot cherry peppers (I used jarred ones in oil, with seeds, and extra oil for extra fire)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup of milk
4 tablespoons of butter
2 packages of Parma Rosa sauce mix
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the rigatoni pasta, and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes; drain and keep warm.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and cook in the hot oil until lightly browned on all sides and cooked in the middle. Remove the chicken from the pan, and keep warm.  Add the peppers, hot cherry peppers, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, and cook for about 10 minutes, reduce heat and slowly stir in the heavy cream, milk and butter. simmer for 2-3 minutes and then add parma rosa packets. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes or until sauce is thick. Then add cooked chicken, and let simmer for 4 -5 minutes, then stir in the pasta with peppers and tomatoes.
The best part of this is that you don't have to add ANY hot peppers, or you can add a TON of hot peppers like we do. Or, you can do half the batch mild, and half the batch hot (for those light weights out there)

Some little side cooking tips...
Lately I've been using hot peppers jarred in oil, not only do I add the hot peppers, but also the oil for that extra kick!
Need a short cut? Try using an already cooked whole rotisserie chicken cubed or shredded to shave minutes off your cooking time.
Want to mix it up?  I've heard of people adding black olives, mushrooms, pork, shrimp, and beef instead of chicken. Make it your own...have fun with it!!

Always have with fresh Italian bread....makes soaking up that hot sauce at the end even more special =)
I hope you enjoy this meal....it's taken a LONG time for me to finally let go of this recipe and share it with others. It's special to us, and I can guarantee you won't have much for leftovers the next day!
Let me know what you think! What do you do to YOUR chicken riggie recipe?

<3 Jenn

No comments: