Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Garlic Chicken and Broccoli

Because it was another crazy night in the O'Malley household, I didn't have time to make my originally planned meal (chicken fajitas), plus I craved Chinese, not Mexican. Knowing that I just started weight watchers this past week, Chinese food was not an option. Instead I thought about what I could make that resembled my favorite Chinese dish (Garlic Chicken and Broccoli), minus the one million calories that goes along with every pint of food. So, I decided to throw some of my favorite flavors together (garlic and broccoli) to make my version of the Chinese take-out favorite,..to my surprise it came out delicious, and as an extra added bonus, the girls loved it.

Garlic Chicken and Broccoli

 
Ingredients
2 tsp Olive oil (and a little bit of butter, butter makes everything better)
3 Medium garlic cloves, minced
1 pound Uncooked chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 tsp Table salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
2 cup Broccoli, florets
1 1/2 cup Canned chicken broth, 99% fat free
1 1/2 tbsp Cornstarch
2 cup Cooked brown rice, kept hot
Preparation
Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook until browned on all sides, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
Add broccoli to skillet, cover and cook 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of broth, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/2 cup of broth and add mixture to skillet. Simmer until mixture thickens, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Serve over rice.

 

No comments: