Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Black Olive...a MUST!

Although I love to cook, I equally love people who cook for me...it adds a different point of view to food that you might have eat million times before. One of those places that has taken Mediterranean cuisine to the next level is The Black Olive located in downtown Syracuse. I know, you must be thinking a second posting on a restaurant downtown? Well, one I am back to having a somewhat predictable life where I am able to finally go out and enjoy myself, and two I've never really experienced the downtown restaurants until now....and so far, I'm impressed!
The Black Olive is a small Mediterranean restaurant with a lot of charm. It feels although you are sitting at home, with friends and family as you are welcomed into their home. The staff was wonderful, courteous, and always smiling.
Now, onto the most important part....the food. I decided to go with a sure bet, the Chicken Souvlaki platter,....for me I always tend to order food I am already somewhat familiar with,... for two reasons, one I like to know what I am going to be eating, and two I know I'd most likely enjoy the meal,...what I wasn't ready for what a taste explosion in my mouth- that's right, I said it,...TASTE EXPLOSION! The chicken skewers were tender and so full of flavor, while the potato wedges were steamed to perfection with various Mediterranean flavors bursting in my mouth with each bite, I couldn't stop myself.
But,... my favorite of the night was a simple, yet traditional appetizer. The pita points and tzatiki sauce, a Mediterranean classic... was downright a-mazing. In fact, I couldn't get enough of it from the appetizer, I asked for an additional cup of this yogurty piece of heaven to accompany my main dish. The garlicky, lemon, cucumber yogurt sauce made me fall in love with Mediterranean food all-over-again.
It didn't take long for The Black Olive to become my new favorite restaurant. With it's reasonable prices, and homey atmosphere I recommend this venue for a nice evening out with friends or family. You will not be disappointed with all the big flavors you will be experiencing when you sit yourself down to an authentic Mediterranean meal......
<3 Jenn

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Went there last year. It was fantastic :)